Re: RC: Tevis, slower riders, some random thoughts

Jonni has mentioned a veyr important point, and it takes some real thought to
balance what should be public awareness and carefully protected reputation as
it applies to our rides. There have been rides in the past that I would NEVER
go to again, invariably because of lack of water. That is an issue that
absolutely should be public information. Something about being out in the
middle of a 20 mile stretch without water that sends me.......

This is not to say that everytime there is a momentary delay to replenish or
perhaps a few extra minutes wait for a horse in troubel that we should all
come unglued. But to us, suffient and well placed water should be a given, in
addition to sufficient vet staff, particularly at the longer - and more
prestigious - rides. Put simply, rides with good reps for not just amenities
but for the basics - feed, water, water and water - these will draw
contenders like, well, flies to, you know!

I know how Tammy feels about her horses, and can understand her frustration
since a lack of water sent me into orbit at a 1997 ride - my old girl went
nearly 15 miles without a sip except what I could squeeze out of my water
bottle. Things DO happen - some things shouldn't. Water is one of them, hay
is a close second. Was this a slip in the plan or was the plan insufficient
for the day? Whatever happened should be addressed, in addition to the issue
of completion time allowances. They should be addressed by both AERC and
riders alike.

Ideas?