Re: Scheduling a farrier

I like to book two appointments in advance - one 5 weeks out, one 7 weeks
out (booking two new appointments on this day).  One horse usually wears the
nails and shoes off at 5 weeks, the others we do as needed (they usually can
be reclinched and go 7).  Luckily, I live near a highway where farriers
travel between small towns - they say its a convenient arrangement.  I
typically get morning weekday appointments, whatever works for them.  So far
I have always been home for the appointments, have not missed a farrier yet.
Horses are tied up, picked clean, and ready to shoe when he gets here.  If
it's muddy, the hooves are hosed, scrubbed, and picked clean on the lawn.  I
try to keep my farrier happy, even if I didn't do a good job with this one.

I would like to know, what is normal turn around for a thrown shoe?  When I
first reported the thrown shoes to my farrier, he said it would be a week or
two before he fix them.  Is there some customary farrier etiquette on this
subject??  My horse's unshod hoof is looking baaaad (chippy).

;-)

m (aka Michelle Rowe), CO