farrier woes

Jessica teep@bedford.net
I know that finding the right farrier can be a struggle... but
from the farrier end of things it's not a picnic either.  I'm
sure that nobody here would pull any of the stunts below, but you
probably know someone who has...

"Oh, was that today?  I forgot and went to visit an old friend
from school.  I'm sorry.  You'll be here tomorrow, right?  I
have a big (event) in two days and really need shoes for it."

"He's just out in the field, hold on a minute while I get him."
(forty minutes and a can of grain later)  "Okay, we're ready...
and please hurry, I have to be at work in half an hour."

"Oh, he's always like that. *giggle*  My aunt says all Arabians
(or Appys or QH's or TWHs or whatever) are just very spirited.
I could never hit him for high spirits, it would make him hate
me."  (farrier lies bleeding on the ground)

"Thanks for shoeing my horse, but I forgot my checkbook and
I'm a little short of cash this week, can I pay you next time?"

"No, can't really say when I'd be needing shoes again
and I don't know my schedule that far in advance.  How about
this, I'll call you when it's time, okay?"

(the people above, ten weeks later) "Uhmmm, can you come out
and shoe my horse tonight?...Oh.  You're busy?  Well, how about
9 pm?  We can turn on the headlights so you'll be able to see.
It's really important, she's starting to trip because her feet
are too long...No, I really can't tomorrow, we're going on a
competitive ride that we've had planned forever...Look, I don't
care about the last time you were here, that was weeks ago...
No, I already registered and can't get my entry fee back.  WELL!
*hrmph* If you don't want our business, just say so!"

"Yes, he's nine years old now, and he toes in quite a bit in
the front.  Our last farrier wouldn't try corrective shoeing
to make his legs straight, said something about the 'bones
being done growing' but we heard you were really good and could
fix anything.  You'll be able to make him straight, right?"

"Can you come out to shoe my horse? Yes, Thursday would be fine.
Thank you."  (on Thursday) "Oh, by the way, when you're done
with this one, would you mind looking at my brother's mare, I
had him haul her over this morning.  She's going lame in her
front foot.  Also I have a yearling I'd like trimmed.  He's
been turned out and probably isn't used to having his feet
handled.  He's a little wild, but I've got him penned up in the
barn (in six inches of muck due to the leak in the roof
and it's darker than sin in there and the little bugger looks
to be untouched by human hands) so that you won't have to worry
about him getting loose."

While I'm not a farrier, I'm on good terms with mine and the
stories she has to tell aren't always pretty.  When you DO find
one you like, make sure the farrier has no reason to dislike
you as a customer.

Jessica