Re: Re: Re: Re: uh-oh, Insulted Farrier

Excellent point about WHEN to discipline.  I can't believe how many people
will object to Nelson smacking their horse AT THE EXACT MOMENT the bad
behavior has occurred but then ask him to step aside while they proceed to
inflict THEIR version of jerking around and smacking the horse themselves!
The horse learns nothing.  Kind of like spanking a dog that won't come when
it's called when it finally DOES come back!  I can't remember where/who
advocates the 3 second rule.  You have to discipline a horse within 3
seconds of the behavior and for NO longer than 3 seconds. Anyone have more
to offer on this?  Is it Lyons or Parelli or someone like that? Sometimes a
growl is all a horse needs to shape up.  Sometimes a good smack gets their
attention and lets them know the situation is serious.  I don't like to see
a rasp used ever though Nelson will sometimes tap the horse with the tip if
he can't use his hand.

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
10601 S. Richards Rd.