Hikers and us

I just have to share a portion of an article that appeared in our local paper
(Tri-City Herald, Kennewick, WA) and yes, I wrote the guy a big thank you!

"Here is where we (Hikers at Goat Rocks Wilderness Area in central
Washington) came across the first group of several horse teams.  In fact, the
ratio of people on horseback to backpackers might have been 4-to-1 this day.

Riders prefer to pass with hikers on the uphill side of the trail.  And make
sure to greet the pack teams with a quick hello so as to not spook the
horses, who aren't sure what to make of two-legged pack animals until they
hear us speak.

The horse people perform trail work and deserve much credit for stocking
Alpine lakes with fish.  And while Ira Spring and Harvey Manning, the famed
Northwest hiking authors, take exception to equines, occasionally suring
trails with these beautiful animals--and their usually courteous
masters--serves as a nice distraction from your aching feet and the monotony
of the trail."

Let's keep being courteous!  If anyone wants to write this guy, his email is
        edegerman@tri-cityherald.com