Re: Saddlebreds as endurance horses

I used to have Saddlebreds, though mine were definitely not endurance
prospects.  Remember they were bred in *recent* times for the action to go
straight up, knees-around-the-ears, not efficient movers at all, and alot of
them are dingdongs---mostly due to the training methods rather than
necessarily genetics.  Alot will have long backs and weak loins, although
the really good showhorses have to have pretty strong coupling to move well
behind---it's nothing compared to endurance, but a long five-gaited stakes
class is still a hard workout.  And alot of them have poor feet, mostly
because of management rather than genetics.

Originally, the ASB was bred to cover some pretty good miles around the
plantation, but those genetics were a long time ago.  The good news is that
if you can find one whose conformation and natural movement allows him to
move forward rather than straight up, you'll get him for a song because the
ASB show people will have no use for him.  If he has an easy personality
(and alot of them do), you'll probably get him even cheaper.  If you can
find one with the right conformation, movement and temperament, that hasn't
been totally ruined by showing, I see no reason why you couldn't use him for
endurance, given enough long, slow work to prepare him (which of course
applies to any horse).  One of my horses was a multiple stakes-winning horse
that could out-trot and out-rack anything with four legs, and I was told he
wouldn't win if I didn't keep him in a enclosed stall, in a tail set, use
the shackles in training, yada yada yada.  I cut his feet down like a
quarter horse, never used any of the gimmicks on him, rode him all other the
place on pleasure rides and he could still out rack, out trot any other
horse in a class, and was a much more relaxed, happier horse to boot.  He'd
have never made an endurance horse, because of his natural movement, but
lemme tell ya, these are damned strong, smart horses.  If you like them and
can find one conformationally suited to the task, go for it. Have fun!

Susan G