need feedback on tendon injuries

Mary Kornwolf vgea@erols.com
Hi! I'd really appreciate feedback from anyone out there who's had experience with tendon injuries and ensuring that their horse recovers fully before re-competing, without missing too many rides! Ridecamp archives were somewhat helpful, but would like to know more about easing back into competition...how to know when the horse is OK

My seasoned 8 year old gelding, 1000 miles combined NATRC and AERC, was pulled at a ride last weekend at 14 miles for lamesness relating to the suspensory tendon on his left front leg. Wish I knew specific names, but it's the sheath that wraps horzontally around the base of the vertical tendon that runs down the back of the lower leg - basically where pastern and leg meet.

We've treated with bute and a DMSO product + heat, and within a day there was no swelling or heat and my horse is moving normally at a walk and 20 yds of trot (didn't want to risk more!)

I was planning to have a vet re-evaluate after 3-4 weeks of total rest (turnout in small pasture) and then begin riding at a walk only...for the 2 weeks after that.

I hope to try a 50 in late Sept. if he's doing OK, but go SLOW. Please share your advice/experiences! Thanks, Mary in VA