Re: RC: Need Help on Gelding care

I have had 2 horses gelded. The first one got infected 3 times despite my
best care and ran a fever and coliced. The second one was done 3 weeks ago.
The vet cut a patch of skin off the sack, therefore leaving a good sized hole
after the surgery instead of just making an incision which only leaves a
slit. The slit can heal shut too early and harbor infection. The hole looked
absolutely awful, but it healed from the inside out . I was instructed to
work him to help prevent swelling and not to hose the surgery site but to
keep his legs, tail etc clean so he wouldn't attract flies. He was really
hurting the first day so I gave him some bute. It looks awful but they bounce
back quick, just keep an eye out for infection. And enjoy your buddy that now
only has interest in you and food!

                                          Shelly in DE