Traveling to New Mexico

I am making plans to go to New Mexico for the 50 mile National Championship
and I need a place to stop on the night of July 30 around St. Louis, MO
(preferably west of St. Louis) and somewhere just east of Oklahoma City the
night of July 31.  I am primitive camping so I just need a place to park and
hopefully some room to walk my horse for while to loosen him up after a day
in the trailer.
I've never done any kind of trip like this before and I need all the help I
can get.

Sallie and Matty
AERC #15099