Re: RC: Re: Discrete Inquiry

In a message dated 7/10/00 1:36:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Tivers writes:

<< New Hypothesis

Hi Tom.   Thanks for sharing this great info.  Not being an exercise
physiologist, my comments are pretty general.  In fact, I would withold any
input except that you seem to be opening this up for general discussion.

<< One of the primary adaptations seen in longterm endurance conditioning is
greatly increased mitochondrial use of intramuscular triglycerides. Virtually
all of the fat used during endurance competition in humans comes from this
already-stored and efficiently-converted substrate source.  Little, if any,
fat in circulation is used as racing fuel when carbohydrate supplementation
is being used during the race. And, of course, adipose tissue is the most
costly of fuels to mobilize. >>

I presume this entire graph applies to humans?  If so, using it as a
springboard for the subsequent theory w/o validating applicability to equines
seems to me to start you off with one foot in a bucket.   Or perhaps the
human-equine similarities/differences in cellular energy production are
already quite well understood?   If not, it seems you'd need to do that
first, or proceed with much caution, since as we have seen, tiny differences
(one enzyme) can make big differences in species.   A substance or regimen
which is useful in one species can
be harmful in others.

Along that same vein, even if we 'know' that the celluar energy physiology is
the same, I think you may be making a leap about dietary supplementation and
how it supports the substrate base.  Equine digestive processes are so very
different from our own, that timing food sources to manipulate this system
may likewise be different.

I guess I was a bit confused by what information in your post is data that
you know, and which is information you are seeking to validate (or not).  For
instance, do we know that this information

 "That underlying triglyceride substrate base is the key to never having to
worry about available substrate under a carb-supplemented high-output
competition."

applies to equines, or is that part of the theory you are advancing?

My other area of concern would be more pragmatic, and it's reflected in your
question

<<  How does a shift to a primarily carb-based training diet to a fat loading
diet affect digestion?  >>

In general the digestive processes of the equine are relatively easy to
disturb.  Humans seem to be iron guts in comparison.   The varied dietary
tweaking thay you suggest may have unforseen consequences in gut motility or
nutrient absorption and transport, even if they are useful in energy
production and availability.

<< And that's why I'm asking you to wrestle with this concept a little in
your spare time.>>

Happy to wrestle with the concept, unable to contribute to 'field trials'
with my one endurance horse  :-)

pat farmer