Re: RC: USET donations~Mary Lutz

In a message dated 07/12/2000 2:00:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Teddy@runningbear.com writes:

<< HAH!!!!  She is the one who telephoned me about my letter after Pan Am.
She
 point blank told me that USET has nothing to do with Pan Am Endurance and
that
 is why no mention was made in their news!!!!

 Sorry, I have no use for Mary....

Teddy:

Mary Lutz is in charge of all endurance arrangements with USET, but she
doesn't make the rules.  She only carries out the mandates set forth by the
organization.  USET has never had involvement with the endurance competitions
on continent (Pan Am Championship, formerly North American Championship).

As you know, USET fully sponsors all off continent international
competitions, that is the World Championships.  It's not her fault,
personally, that USET only sponsors the World Championships.  It's just the
way things are.  You know the old saying, "Don't kill the messenger."

In my opinion, we're very lucky in this sport to have USET's involvement in
the world competitions.  With the funds they provide, the US can send it's
best team, regardless of the financial means of each individual rider who
aspires to reach his/her goal of international competition.  I've competed in
North American and Pan Am Championships at my own expense and have been
fortunate enough to compete in the World Championships at USET's expense.
USET treats our endurance riders and horses who make the overseas trips with
respect.  All expenses are paid.  All details are arranged.  USET helps
provide our riders with the experience of a lifetime.

USET provides and promotes through the media a 50 mile endurance race each
year in conjunction with it's Festival of Champions.  Mary is in charge of
this race.  It's a well run competition each year and many of our top
veterinarians attend and work the race.

Is USET an elitist organization?  Yes, in the sense that the organization
puts it's money behind only the elite competitors of all horse sports it
sponsors.  Again, it's just the way things are.

Debi Gordon