RC: putting weight on a finicky horse

Tamara Woodcock twoodcock@lendleaserei.com
I really don't think Roo is too afraid of the stallion and the filly.  Roo is the head horse of their little herd, the others waiting on him to drink first, etc.  The only time Magi (the 2yo) leads is on threat alert (Magi is the first to startle and bolt, and then first to investigate what ever caused the startle and bolt)  In fact, when Roo decides he doesn't want to come up to the barn for meals, I have to halter and lead up the babies because he herds them away from the barn.  Sort of "I'm not hungry, so you're not hungry either!"  After the babies are eating, Roo will come in, because he doesn't want to be out in the big scary pasture all alone.

The pasture is crossfenced into a 2 acre and a 3 acre, but with only three horses, I can't seperate them anymore, because I don't like someone not having a buddy to share fly swishing, etc.  I've thought of moving some fences to carve out a couple of 20x100 runs and placing Roo and one of the others side by side in seperate runs, but this will still mean not having a pasture buddy.

I tried only stalling Roo at night, but if I don't pen the babies right beside him, he doesn't eat at all and paces a circle throught the shavings and well into the clay (when clean, the nephews use the "track" for matchbox cars) and morning finds him dripping sweat and panicky.

I realize this is not the best behavior of an endurance horse, but he is wonderful to ride, and has really taken to his conditioning, seems eager to go out to ride, etc.  He'll never be a top 10 horse (that's what Magi will be for) but I really think he could do well if I can just conquer this eating thing.

-Tamara
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistriss.
http://www.mindspring.com/~nis75p06/
nis75p06@mindspring.com
twoodcock@lendleaserei.com
AOL Instant Messenger: Conthesis
ICQ: 49294214

Barb Peck <bpeck@together.net>
T:
It could be possible he's stressed with his present company, and
only feels relaxed enough to eat in a stall (where he feels safe?)
With a stud and mare very close by, he's got to be low man.
If it's possible, you may need to change his living conditions.

Barb