Re: RC: nasal strips

First off, I have yet to see a horse's nasal passages "collapse" (the soft
tissue is supported between cartilagenous supports) so I fail to see what
good the nasal strips will do, especially in an aerobic situation.

Second, one would have to put any sort of splint boot, medicine boot, etc. in
the same category as nasal strips, as far as being a "support" of a soft
tissue structure.  They can hardly be considered an aid to performance, so
can hardly see how they could violate AERC rule 13a (or was it b--sorry, I
don't want to take the time to go back and look).  And quite frankly, given
the credo of "First, do no harm," I see more harm from the latter sorts of
devices due to friction rubs and heat buildup (not saying NOT to use them
when in a given horse the benefits outweigh the detriments--that's a judgment
call) than I can possibly imagine from nasal strips.

So my take on them is that if you want to throw your money down a rat hole,
you have every right--but I have better places to spend mine!

Heidi