Re: Helmet visor question

> Now I'm looking at the Troxel Dakota
> and the visor is rigid but firmly attached to the helmet.  I am thinking
> maybe this is safer than one that could come off and injure me.  Does
> anyone have any comments to make regarding visors as to whether the
> rigid ones that are part of the helmet are safe

Amber -

To answer your question (sort of), part of the ASTM standard is that the
visor has to bend or come off on impact, even a relatively gentle one.  So
the visor on the Dakota may *seem* rigid, but it has to be somewhat flexible
in order to pass the standards.  I would assume (don't know for sure) that
the fact that it's attached makes it less likely to cause the kind of
cutting injury you describe.

Of course I have to add that part of helmet fit relates to how one fastens
the chin strap.  A face-first impact should NOT -- repeat, NOT -- permit the
front of the helmet to slide down to the bridge of the nose.  I see many,
many helmets that are fit or worn wrong, with the chin strap too loose or
too much play forward to back.

** If you can slide your helmet down so that it even touches the bridge of
your nose, recheck your adjustments or you may find yourself with a broken
nose someday when you least expect it. **

Couldn't help but interject, sorry if I've violated anyone's civil rights.
Gotta go ride.

-Abby Bloxsom