RE: What are drugs to AERC?

AERC DRUG RULE POLICY

AERC is resolutely and absolutely opposed to the presence of drugs in horses
participating in endurance rides. Consequently, the AERC defines the
detection of any drug, drug metabolite, or drug residue in body tissue or
secretions of a horse to be prima facie evidence of drug administration.
Riders and owners should note that some drugs may persist in the horse's
body for seven days or more. The owner and rider, if different, are absolute
guarantors of the horse's condition and are subject to disciplinary action,
irrespective of demonstrable proof of their knowledge or intent of drug
administration. If there are any concerns not covered in these guidelines,
the veterinarian should refer to AERC Rule 13 and the supplement for
clarifications regarding drug policy.
The owner(s) and rider of a horse demonstrated to have had drug(s)
administered as defined in this rule are subject to a penalty up to
revocation of all points, mileage, and AERC awards for the calendar year
that the infraction occurred. It is recommended that non-permissible
substances be withdrawn for at least 96 hours prior to competition to
minimize any likelihood of a substance being picked up on testing.
The medications listed below are presented as a guideline to the endurance
riding public as examples of stimulants, depressants, anesthetics and drugs
that interfere with chemical analysis for recovery of prohibited drugs.
THE FOLLOWING SUBSTANCES ARE NOT PERMISSIBLE:

Stimulants: Medications or drugs stimulating the central nervous system,
respiration, or blood pressure of horses, including but not limited to
amphetamine, apomorphine, dexadrine, caffeine, chocolate, desoxyphedrine,
ephedrine, coramine, metrazol, nux vomica, benzadrine, ritalin,
epinepherine, bronchodilators, etc.
Depressants: Medications or drugs depressing the central nervous system,
respiration, or blood pressure of horses, including but not limited to
narcotics, barbituates, tranquilizers, chloral hydrate, morphine, morphine
derivatives and substitutes (the latter substances may also act as a
stimulant depending upon the dosage administered), phenothiazine and its
derivatives.
Anesthetics: (including local anesthetics) Medications or drugs causing loss
of sensation and relief from pain including but not limited to xylocaine,
butacaine, carbocaine, benzacaine, procaine. Products containing procaine as
procaine penicillin should not be administered.
Drugs and Medications: which interfere with chemical analysis for
stimulants, depressants, and anesthetics, including but not limited to
dipyrone, sulfa drugs, isoxuprene, thiamine, E-Se injectable, benzimadozole
dewormers, and antihistamines.
Steroids and Corticosteroids: which may stimulate a horse and create
behavioral changes, including but not limited to cortisone, hydrocortisone,
prednisone, prednisolone, methylprednisolone, fluoroprednisolone, and
dexamethasone.
Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Medications: as anti-inflammatory, analgesic
agents including but not limited to phenylbutazone, flunixine meglumine,
naproxen, ketoprofen, dipyrone, and aspirin.
Topical substances: DMSO, menthol, or camphor as examples are not allowable.
Note that rubbing alcohol is permissible to use.
THE FOLLOWING SUBSTANCES ARE ALLOWABLE preceding and during competition:

Vitamins
Minerals
Electrolytes administered by syringe or in feed
Nutraceuticals: The rider must familiarize him/herself with each product to
ensure that it does not contain some naturally occurring substance that will
test. Many "natural" and "holistic" preparations containing herbs,
animal/insect extracts, etc. have no listed ingredients. Some may contain or
react as substances that will be picked up either as prohibited or masking
substances. No warnings are available regarding withdrawal times so these
should be used with caution. Veterinarians should familiarize themselves
with commonly used nutraceutical products.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID