Elk Valley Rides July 8th and 9th

Hello!

Am certain this will be a very incomplete report, but know that some other
Ridecamper, or maybe Gene or Debbie Zanot (after recovering fully!) will pipe
in to fill in all of the blanks I've left.

Great ride, as per usual!  Weather cooperated nicely until Sunday evening,
when it began to rain.  Temps in the low 80s, and the sun stayed behind the
clouds on Sunday, keeping it from getting really steamy.

Heard that there were about 130 horses competing over the weekend, and the
parking was jam-packed!  Ed, from Florida, got us all packed nicely like
little sardines and other than Teddy from Running Bear getting her rig hung
up over a hump in the road, it seemed pretty uneventful from this crew
member's perspective!

About 54 started the 50 mile ride on Saturday, which was the qualifying ride
for New Mexico on August 4th.  About 17 started the two day 100.

On Saturday, a lovely gray Missouri Fox Trotter won the 50!  Forgive me, I
cannot remember the rider's name.  Earle Baxter won Best Condition on his
purebred bay gelding -- what a tank that boy is!  They were parked near us at
the vet checks and I was impressed by his size and continuing spunk;  it is
safe to say he gladly would have dragged "Boss" out for another loop at the
end!

Only one horse that I am aware of had any metabolic woes at all, and that was
a 50 miler who tied up in the first loop on Saturday -- in fact, I think that
50 of the 54 horses in the 50 miler completed!  A nice completion record!

Cindy Simcox (PA) is one tough lady.  Her horse fell on her prior to the
start, and then she had a bad fall toward the end of the ride.  I'd heard the
horse stepped on her but figured "couldn't be" when I saw her riding in and
out of the vet checks.  She completed and Top Tenned, I believe, only to head
home to find out she'd not only broken two ribs, but her sternum as well.
Now that's what I call "endurance!"  We're keeping our fingers crossed that
she'll have better luck heading west to NM with Sallie Sullivan (a friend who
also qualified on Saturday) in a couple of weeks!

Hubby (Richard) was travelling along nicely on his first day of the 100 when
Shantih decided at the third vet check that he wasn't going to eat or drink
(*highly* unusual for Mr. Tank-Up-Cuz-Who-Knows-What-They'll-Do-To-Me-Next).
Another dose of 'lytes and some coaxing got him nibbling, then eating, then
tanking once again.  They lost 45 minutes while Rich slept in a chair and
Shantih nibbled, but it was a bright and chipper (and grabbing at leaves)
horse that headed out for the last loop.

On Sunday, there was a second 50 mile ride, a 25 mile LD, and the second day
of the 100 milers.  Not sure of all the results, but Marlene Shaffer finished
first in the LD Ride and got BC on her little Arab/App mare.  Not sure who
won the 50 miler, but Duane Barnett got BC.

In the 100 miler, Nancy McAninch was burning up the trail both days.  On
Saturday, despite starting 1/2 hour later, she started catching the 50
milers, and I think she finished up along with the Top Tenners!!  Same on
Sunday, and Czar Fire just looked stronger and stronger, taking Nancy along
for the ride!  She ended up with a total ride time of 10:35, taking BC, and
finishing up just as strong and bold and cheerful as they started!  What a
pair . . .

Rich and Shantih had an uneventful second day, with Shantih chowing and
slurping throughout the day, finishing the 100 as the "turtles", with a total
ride time of 12 hours and some change.  So a pretty fast pace for the field,
it seemed to me, and lots of horses looking really good at the finish.

As I said, there were no horses treated (so far as I know), so that made for
a great weekend!  The vet checks were cheerful and well run, Buck Shrader did
the usual outstanding job as timer, and the vets (Stan from Canada, Art King,
and Dave Swaney) did a great job, as did all of the volunteers!  Another well
run ride, which we have come to expect from Debbie and Gene!

Wildlife sightings I didn't have but heard about included:  mama bear and
baby bears (seen by Debbie while marking trail on Friday), several deer, a
mama elk that *several* riders had to brush by or urge off the trail so they
could complete the final loop, and scarily, a rattlesnake!

A great time seemed to be had by most, if not all.  Thanks to the whole crew,
and sorry for the major holes in the placings!

--Patti Stedman (NY)