Re: separation anxiety--training problem

-----Original Message-----
From: Tara Wheeler <harpy@io.com>
>>work him
>>real hard near the barn and then head him away, showing him >>that he has
>work less the further out he is.
>
>If he acts up on the ride out, take him right back and work him hard again.

          I've used this for a green horse who refused to head down   the
road toward the trail.  Just took him back past the barn to the arena and
worked him around and around in the heat and dust until he'd worked up a
good sweat.  We had to make two trips back to the arena before he decided
that the trail was the better choice.  I rewarded him by going less than 1/2
mile down the trail before returning to the barn and putting him away.
Heading out for the trail has never been an issue since.

Betty Edgar
So. Oregon