separation anxiety--training problem

Back from our first training session.

We took both horses out, went down the hill to a relatively flat fire trail
at the bottom.  And then asked them to go in opposite directions.
Immediate problem.  My friend was on the gelding (bless her).  He didn't
try to rear, but immediately became like a wet noodle....simply could not
get him going straight forward.  She got off and backed him up by tapping
him on the knees with the crop.  Of course he wouldn't go straight back
either and quickly found himself backed into a bunch of stickers.  He
didn't like that so much.  She got back on and he went forward. Yea!

We spent about 45 minutes, riding in separate directions, making them come
back toward each other slowly (the mare needs this training too, it turns
out).  Did this several times.  Then made them go past each other and go in
opposite directions.......back and forth.  Did that a bunch of times.  Lots
of circling and bending whenever they started getting speedy.  Then back up
the hill together (unfortunately, there is only one way back home, so we
couldn't return by separate routes).

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Next step will be taking the gelding out
on his own.  Will keep you posted.

Suzanne (and Sunny......"whew, that made me *really* anxious, but I did
it!" And Natty......."what do you mean he's going the other way! I want him
right here where I can see him and boss him around!!")