Electrolytes, stress

This is a post from Becky Fiedler (last year's Tevis winner) that
I am forwarding to Ridecamp:

-----Original Message-----
From: becky fiedler [mailto:bsfiedler@excite.com]
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2000 12:09 AM
To: steph@endurance.net
Subject: xp

Steph:
I didn't know if this was something to post, but thought I'd share my recent
XP experience if it might help someone.

I went to XP planning to ride 3 of the days with my kids on their horse,
Tsyd, while I rode Aurber.  Victoria White and Missing Link were also
sharing our rig.  On monday, day 1, Aurber had thumps at the vet check.  I
know that he has a calcium problem and usually manage it better than that.
Anyway, we pulled.  We didn't go out tues or wed, but as Aurber was eating,
drinking and doing all that horsey stuff, we went out on Thursday.  Did a
slow (7 1/2 hr) day, tailing uphills, etc.  He ate and drank well, but
seemed less enthusiastic than usual.  Went on day 5, took extra time to
graze at the lush vet check; an 8 hr. for 50 miles.  After the ride, we were
cleaning up at the trailer and Aurber collapsed.  Just pitched to the
ground.  Dave and Barney were great and had an IV in him practically before
we got him back up!  Barney drew blood; mystery solved.  He had a potassium
spike that would cause the heart to stop.  So he fainted... question was,
did that mean I used too much electrolyte?  Why was he using sodium,
chloride, etc. but not potassium then not getting rid of the extra?  We
pumped 10L of fluid in him and took a couple days to get him home.  I had
hoped that he would perk back up when we got home.  He seemed to at first.
I took the blood that Barney spun for me to my vet on monday.  Unfortunatly,
there was a miscommunication and no chem panel was run.  Made an appt for
thurs, but on wed am he wasn't interested in food, the weight seemed to be
falling off him by the minute, his coat was rough, discharging from the nose
and foam from the mouth.  I met my vet as he opened his clinic insisting
that he treat Aurber.  We found mouth ulcers; all typical of renal failure.
Treated by flushing his system with massive amounts of fluids (70 liters/24
hour period) After 2 1/2 days, Aurber's chem screen is now within reasonable
limits.  His coat looks great and he's picking up weight and energy.  Why
did his kidneys fail?  I've had several answers.  I think that I
underestimated the stress of trailering.  Although we took 2 days, he was at
the 'wrong' slant, with an extra horse and Aurber is the one that they all
pick on.  Came from a moist, damp climate to hot dry.  Pasture to dry feed;
he could have grazed on the way on grass that had been sprayed; perhaps I
didn't listen to him carefully enough, although he's so very strong and
stoic.  I don't know what kidney damage has been done, so I don't know if
he'll be doing endurance again, but my dressage instructor would happily
have me retire him to dressage.  My moral would be to have blood work done
regularly on your horse, especially as you are competing.  When you're
pumping electrolytes into them, you better know what exactly they are
needing, and listen carefully.  I don't think I would have made a different
choice at XP, except in hindsight, when I have more information.  We have a
stewardship to our equine partner.  I hope that none of you go through the
experience that we did, or that our experience will help you avoid it.

Thanks;
Becky

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html