Re: RC: LD and BC

In a message dated 07/05/2000 9:59:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
nis75p06@mindspring.com writes:

<< Okay, so this is just my opinion and all, but I can't help wondering why
 Limited Distance can't be simply treated in the same fashion as "real
 endurance"?  Why do we as a group get so worked up over Limited Distance?

I've ridden a (very) few LD rides to start a young horse.  I like 25-30 mile
rides.  They're not as tiring as 50s and up, they are a moderate challenge
and lots of fun.  Also, they take less time, so I have more time to rest
afterwards. (I'm a senior citizen).  But AERC rules DEFINED endurance rides
as 50 miles or greater.  LD rides came in long after endurance was organized.
 It's as simple as definition in the rules.  And, as a ride manager, I hate
to see riders take a 4 year old horse, who isn't mature, either mentally or
physically, and run it over a 25-30 mile course for speed.  I've seen a few
riders whose attitude was "I've got this great horse and I'll bet I can win
this race!"  I just hate to see it.  I've brought along enough young horses
to realize they are NOT mature enough to handle this kind of thing.  I'm
riding a 6 year old now who is not mature enough to handle it.  When he stops
lollygagging along the trail and starts to act like a grownup horse, then
we'll do 50s.  He'll probably be ready in a year or two.  So far, my
experience is that the brain doesn't engage until about 8 years old.  But I
will also admit that I can't put in enough hours on our youngsters to develop
them any earlier.

Barbara