Fwd: not drinking

 Elayne

 Some horses just seem to be better about drinking than others, but if you
 have one (as I do) that isn't a "natural" at this, here are my thoughts:

 With experience, the horse will get better about drinking when it is
 available.   Don't neglect to give him plenty of time.   Sometimes riders
 pull up to the water, wait 15 seconds, say "he's not drinking" and dash off.

 Stop, get off, relax for a few minutes, try again .

 The lytes definitely are important, especially if it's hot.  Prep the horse
 with one dose the night before, one dose the morning of the ride.   On a
slow
 25 miler, you might get by with just one more dose at the midpoint check and
 one at completion, depending on temps and how he drinks.   As you've
probably heard, it's not good to give them 'lytes in large quantities if they
don't drink.

 You can teach the horse a verbal cue to drink.  In my horse it's still not
100% but
 it is getting better all the time.   Every time you see him drink, at home,
 on the trail, after a ride, whatever, say the cue.  Use the same word/s and
 same tone every time.   I just started chanting it in a kind of sing song
 voice whenever he drank.  After a  while, when we got to water, I would say
 the cue, and he would lower his head, tho not drink.  Now he pretty much
will
 always put his nose in when I give the cue, and in about 75% of cases will
 drink.

 I'm sure more experienced riders than myself will reply, but this is working
 at getting my horse better about drinking earlier in the ride.

 pat farmer

---- Begin included message ----
Sorry, you may not directly reply to guest@endurance.net

you must instead send your reply to the email address of the person who originally posted as a guest on ridecamp (with a 'cc to ridecamp@endurance.net if appropriate).

thank you,

postmaster@endurance.net

Some horses just seem to be better about drinking than others, but if you
have one (as I do) that isn't a "natural" at this, here are my thoughts:

With experience, the horse will get better about drinking when it is
available.   Don't neglect to give him plenty of time.   Sometimes riders
pull up to the water, wait 15 seconds, say "he's not drinking" and dash off.
Stop, get off, relax for a few minutes, try again .

The lytes definitely are important, especially if it's hot.  Prep the horse
with one dose the night before, one dose the morning of the ride.   On a slow
25 miler, you might get by with just one more dose at the midpoint check and
one at completion, depending on temps and how he drinks.   It's not good to
give them 'lytes in large quantities if they don't drink.

You can teach the horse a verbal cue to drink.  In my horse it's not 100% but

---- End included message ----