Re: 25 LD required starting point - was LD and BC

An "oldbie" responds!!

> Deanna,
>
> While I understand where you are coming from, I have
> to vigorously disagree with your stance of REQUIRING
> new riders to start on 25's.  Here are some thoughts
> from a rider who has done this sport since the early
> 1980's, but stll remembers first starting and who
> mentors new riders all the time.
>
> 1.  NOT all riders are beginners when they start the
> sport.  Why penalize them?

You'd consider it a penalty to do a couple of LD's?? You're way past
that point so you might have lost your perspective. If you were starting
out in eventing, would you feel "penalized" if asked to complete some
training levels before moving to the higher levels? I wouldn't. I'm a
newbie, but I don't consider myself a beginner at this whole distance
thing either. I wouldn't feel penalized by a couple or a few LD rides.

> 2.  Most true beginners think 25 miles is a LONG ways
> and wouldn't dream of entering the 50.

I'm on another general horse forum and you would not believe what people
consider doing. I'm also perhaps a little closer to the "true beginner"
status than you are, talking to lots of other newbies and interested
participants. Most people aren't objective about their horse's
abilities, thinking they can do more than they're fit to do. People want
to do some wierd things.

> 3.  Those macho beginners that enter the 50 but are
> unprepared can easily be pulled if there are problems.

Always? What about the horror stories?

> 4.  How do you police if the beginner has completed
> enough 25 milers to enter a 50.

How do you police if the horse is old enough to enter? How about putting
the responsibility on the entering rider to prove to the RM that they've
satisfied all entry requirements. I don't think any RM should have to do
anymore verification than they do for clearing the horse according to
its age. I'm always against increasing RM stress.

> 5.  For some horses and riders, doing a stretch of LD
> first causes training issues when they move to 50's
> later.  You may be enforcing problems for the team
> later down the road if the rider is "stuck" on LD for
> a period of time/miles.

Now we're into semantics. Define "stretch." I think you're stretching
for reasons to be against this whole idea. I was thinking "2 or 3" which
does not equate to "stretch" to me.

> Some folks mentioned mentoring & clinics.  That is the
> preferred way to go in my mind.  I actively mentor
> folks.  There is a mentors list on the endurance page.
>  encourage folks to sign up on it or to look there.

Not everyone is on the web. Not everyone wants their name on a list on
the web. In fact, I know a handful of accomplished riders near here who
most definitely aren't. And just because the name is on the list doesn't
mean they're a good person to learn from. It just means they are
generous enough to give of their time.

It'd be nice if every new rider had a mentor. I'm lucky; I have more
than one. But I can name a handful of new riders who don't have anyone.
Potential mentors don't wear signs at rides. Also, how is a newbie to
tell a Flemmer from another newbie? We newbies find each other easily
somehow but find it more difficult to latch onto a knowledgable oldbie.

Hey, I'm just trying to come up with some ideas to help riders and
horses, not trying to wreck anyone's day. There's always more than one
way to skin a cat.

Deanna