electrolytes

Elayne Nickens hnic452@aol.com
Would someone one give me directions for using electrolytes? I attended my first LD  ride in April and it became apparent that my horse is not going to drink on the trail. He finally drank at the end of the 25 miles, but by then his gut sounds got a C at the check and he looked  stressed out. (We took the whole 6 hours, so we weren't rushing and he is fit). I've read a lot of conflicting articles on using electrolytes, but most agreed they were necessary.  I  would rather error on the conservative side, so I was wondering when and how much I should use on my next LD ride. I am in the southeast, so it's very hot and humid here. I hope he gets better about drinking. He'll stand in belly deep water  and just play in it while the other horses drink, but he won't drink. Any tips from anyone on how to keep him from getting dehydrated during a LD ride? Any help will be appreciated.