Re: LD and BC

kathy_mayeda@atce.com writes:

<< Just where the 25 milers split off from the 50's he took off at a
 mad gallop towards 25 miler's vet check (he remembered from a year ago!)
 which is only 6 miles from the 25 mile finish.  Unfortunately, I had to use
 the "pulley rein".  (Next issue - work on control during "races" - he
 normally is VERY EASY to control during training rides.) >>
ROTFLOL! And this is where as an instructor my opinion diverges from many
others. To me, conditioning is not enough. The horse must be of a mental
state to at least maintain a modicum of self (or other) control in spite of
what he most wants to do. Just as the show ring is no place to 'teach' a
horse not to duck out at fences, it is also not the place to teach a horse
not to bolt. That takes time and is most safely done at home. It might be
that this is the first time this particular horse has done this but porbably
he has had these proclivities.

These things come with time and training - and not just on the horses' parts.