Fw: LD and BC and Oakland comments

Subject: Re: LD and BC and Oakland comments

> Jeri writes:
>
> > Sorry, hit the send key by accident.  A Ray Hunt disciple would see
cowboy
> > methods as very abusive.  >
> >
> Jeri,
>
> I'm not sure exactly what had been said here (refering to the "cowboy
> methods"), but I am going to jump off here and offer a few comments on how
> retrain my horses, and how I am trying to raise the youngster.
>
> A friend, several years ago, bought a ranch-raised working horse from a
> local "cowboy."  It was a wonderful horse, would do anything, and she got
> ride with the owner and see what the horse was expcted to do.  It was a
real
> eye-opener, as to how well trained this horse was, and how willing to go
do
> the work.--------------especially in comparison to some local horse
owners,
> who have spoiled horses that won't load willingly, walk all over you, balk
> on the trail, won't leave the group, get upset when other people leave,
etc,
> etc.
>
> This ranch horse was used to do WORK-he was not mistreated-but he was used
> to gather cattle, ride fence, etc.  My friend said these ranchers didn't
> just "mosey" along-they had work to do, and usually at a working trot to
> cover ground.
>
> Anyway, now I think of my own horses that way-a horse SHOULD be capable of
> doing a days work without having a hissy fit.  Think of ranch horses,
think
> of police horses.  They thinking nothing of LEAVING their herd and
> competently doing work.  So, I make my horses go on rides with their
> buddies, and LEAVE. I make them turn to go back for the dogs; trim trail,
> walk quietly when other horses run past-you get the message.  One little
> mare my son has ridden was, at one time, wonderfully trained and eager.
At
> some point, some owners starrted letting her get her own way, and when I
got
> her, she would balk on the trail, and act like she was going to rear, have
> hissy fit if she could not see another horse, paw, not cross water unless
> another horse went first. etc.  It has been over a years work, regularly,
> try to break these habits.  I finally resorted to days of leaving her
> saddled up; tied
> (with water and hay bag), and periodically, I would just make her leave
the
> property, or just go do something.  After every ride trailering out, I
make
> her leave her buddies at the trailer and go out again on a small ride to
do
> something.  It seems to be finally working, but it sure is HARDER to
correct
> these bad habits than to prevent them.
>
> So, now, I try to use the "common sense" approach, and :"what would a
> working ranch horse do?", when dealing with situations. Of course, this
means
> assessing the horse, and not making a horse that has already lost it's
> brain, be left alone (asking for a wreak), but I DO think you have to at
least work
> in the direction of having horse willingly do what you ask.
> Horses should not be allowed to dictate that they have to be first, or
last
> on the trail, that they can't be by mares (or geldings)-that they dont lke
> or whatever.
>
> My big mare has a lot of "likes and dislikes"  It has taken years of work
> with her (very strong minded
> alpha mare).  But I am finally at the point where I KNOW she will do
> whatever I ask without endangering us-and, since I LIKE her personality,
and
> DON'T want a horse that is just a living dirt bike, I ALLOW her some
> expression, and often let her do what she wants (lets canter now).
>
> However, in conclusion, I think a whole lot of these rider going to all
> these popular clinics for touchy-feely horse training would be far better
> consider what a working horse should be able to do!  And their horses
would greatly benefit being used for ranch work for a month or so!

>Several years ago I talked to Sheila Varian about some of her horses for
sale.  The ones
>that were not going to be show horses were sent out to be started and used
on working cattle
>ranches.  They were taken out in the morning, and used all day (gently at
first), but not returned
> to their own devices until the end of the day-then they better eat and
drink well becuase they
>would be taken out the next day.  Maybe somewhat extreme, but she said at
the end of a month,
>those were good, solid using horses.

>Yes, I DO love my horses, but over the course of my horse experience (30
years)-I have "discovered" that the horse in the herd that is "liked" and
respected the MOST is the most
bossy, alpha mare. That better be me!  I believe horses like to be
instructed as to what to do, and feel more secure that way./

>So don't disparage "cowboy ways", a TRUE cowbow or rancher that uses his
horses, does NOT
abuse them.

Karen