riding position

Hi,
I have a couple questions about riding position that I hope you can help
with.  I am new to this sport and had only had riding lessons for a short
period prior to getting involved with endurance and CTR, so I doubt I have
the greatest ring riding position in the world either.  But I had made some
good progress when I took lessons and sit fairly straight (used to collapse
right hip) and believe I'm pretty balanced - I usually ride with a too-loose
girth with no slipping until I go to get off.  I've seen a few pics and my
leg position is generally pretty good, although I'm still working on keeping
my legs back.

I've run into 2 problems as I've gotten into longer rides.  The first took
my a while to figure out - my knees get sore - and I thought it was just
that they were getting generally sore.  My stirrups had been too short and
it was much better when I lengthened them.  But my right stirrup is slightly
longer than my left and I'm sure that's causing me some problems - I know my
right leg is slightly further forward and swings a little.  But my stirrups
are the correct length for me within the range of these leathers - I can
punch new holes I think.  I'm riding in a Synergist if that helps.  What I
just figured out (because I just did a training ride that was all uphill,
and then down hill on the way back) is that it's the downhill that's killing
my knees.  Uphill and level (trotting is better than walking) I can go all
day.  So is there anything I can change about going downhill that could
help?  I am putting weight on my feet and am slightly up in the saddle, just
enough to let the horse go side to side beneath me.

Next problem is a little more delicate.  If I'm trotting a lot and really up
in 2-point, I'm fine.  But walking slight hills or in situations where I
need to be a little lighter in the saddle, but not really out of it - I'm
really getting myself sore in the crotch.  I'm trying to be aware and keep
my pelvis tilted back so I'm on my butt bones better, but I just can't seem
to stay in that position.  And it seems to be a lot worse when I'm trying to
keep the horse in a walk when she wants to trot - which is essentially an
entire CTR!

So I'm sure I must be a complete disaster as far as my riding position, but
I'm really not sure what to work on.  So any advice is really appreciated.
Here is a horribly large pic if anyone wants to take a look -
http://www.frii.com/~mmoss/sudan/M_AND_V2.gif

Thanks,
Marlene