Re: RC: LD and BC (also Oakland comments)

In a message dated 7/4/00 11:11:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
DESERTRYDR1@aol.com writes:

<< that LD should not be a race.  Newbies need
 to learn how to take pace their horse and take care of it. >>
the frightening part is that many who are just not satisfied unless it is
called a race go into 50s well before they are ready, even skipping the 25
milers - the "training" stage - altogether. I think of some of the real dolts
who whiz past us at the start - or any OTEHR spot - in a 25-35 miler,
slamming into me, my daughter, my precious old mare - and I imagine these
incompetents going into a 50 soon. I cringe - for the horses they ride
especially. Training ride? Yes indeed - and if we CALL it that, EVERYONE
should start at that point. You have to walk before you can run - or race.