25 mile ride

Last weekend I was at a ride where ride management stressed the fact that
the 25 mile ride is not a race.  I totally agree with that.
I have one question, though.  Why then place the riders according to time?
If you want to take the racing out of the 25 milers, don't even mention time
at the awards meeting, only place riders considering their horse's
condition.

Maria Berger