Was stopping horse abusers - green eyed gods

Hi

I have read the current 'debate' with interest and a degree of saddness.

Firstly, what a shame for a horse to die in such a tragic accident, I
shudder to think what his rider must feel. A rider at a recent ride over
here had a similair misfortune when her horse fell of the path on a hill and
down a 200 foot drop having I belive summersolted on ehr rider. Amazingly
both horse and rider survived.These were not racing, they had an 1,000,000
to 1 accident just like this poor bloke.

As I am based in the UK I have no real first hand knowledge of this horse
and rider and rather wonder how many of the other posters on this topic have
had any real knowledge of the pair as opposed to malicious gossip.

My understanding from posts is that the pair were competative and
successful. A deadly combination in terms of attracting malicious gossip Im
afraid. For some reason the green eyed god of envy seems to get to work when
ever a competative or successful combination either succeed or experience a
tragedy.

In the UK I have recently been 'informed' that the winner of a recent 100
miler must have cheated (ie. missed out part of the route) to come in ahead
of the rest of the field - complete crap of course as this was a very well
policed and very well checkpointed ride, a male rider who wins on and of at
high level was supposedly well known to always hit his horse I crewed for
the pair and didnt see anything different to anyone else...I was also quite
disgusted by the back bitting in evidence between various race ride crews
and riders and even officials at a recent national levle event . Really
these people ought to get life.

Of course the quick way of preventing abuse if your definition of abuse is
to ride competitivly would be just to ban race rides and placings wouldnt
it?

basically if you win or ride to win you will end up with detractors so maybe
AERC ought to issue ear plugs to race riders.

tamara