Carrying Bute

K S SWIGART   katswig@earthlink.net

Louise Burton asked:

> Did anyone pick up on why another rider is carrying BUTE with them
> on a ride?????

I suspect it was for the same reason that vets at endurance
rides bring all the equipment and drugs for treating horses
to endurance rides.

..in case they need to treat a sick/injured horse.

There is nothing in the AERC rules that says I am not allowed
to treat my horse with Bute (or anything else) if I deem it wise
or necessary.  The rules just say that I am not allowed to
continue in competition after having done so.

Prudent people who understand that they may have to take care
of their own horse out on the trail (which IS what the AERC
rules says IS my responsibiliy) may bring the wherewithal to
do so...and that may include Bute.

I refuse to comment on whether in this particular situation
giving Bute to the horse was the right thing to do (and we
don't even know if the horse WAS given Bute, the only report
we have is that the horse's owner was given Bute).

However, it is neither unreasonable, nor inappropriae for any
endurance rider to take horse medications out on the trail with
them in the event of an emergency.  Even if these medications
are prohibited for use in horses that are going to be going on
in the competition.

I take all kinds of forbidden substances along with me to
endurance rides.  (And her is one of my pet peeves), just
because we are not allowed to "treat" our horses and continue
in competition does not mean we are not allowed to treat our
horses, even out on the trail if necessary.

The horse in this particular incident was also given IV fluids
out on the trail, was that inappropriate because the horse was
at an endurance ride?  I even recall hearing a story of one rider
at an international ride (who needed to make the 165 lb weight
requirement) carrying IV fluids (she also happened to be a vet)
to make the weight because she figured that in an emergency
she would at least be able to use it (far more useful, say, than
lead).

Our emergency first aid kits that we carry with us out on the
trail at an endurance ride CAN include forbidden substances...
and maybe even ought to...if we know how to administer them
properly.

kat
Orange County, Calif.