Re: RC: Oakland Hills Incident

In a message dated 7/1/2000 9:58:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

> Dave was running second after the lunch stop behind another guy (who also
> races for first on the same horse two weeks in a row).
I think maybe I will weigh in here now, first of all I did not come in at any
time ahead of David. But I did certainly go out ahead at all vet checks. My
horse was simply doing better at the checks. I did win back to back ride on a
horse that is in his 5th season. And as others have pointed out I am carefull
with my horse. I dont use a crop, I dont beat my horse. I ride vet check to
vet check, if my horse needs to slow down he does. I did not start either
ride with the intent to win, it just happened because he was strong and doing
good. I do not have to win, if it happens fine, I will be proud of my horse,
if it doesnt, I am still proud of my horse. There does seem to be an
implication here that I was maybe abusing my horse with back to back wins. I
resent that very much. You can ask anyone who knows me, from Becky Hart to
Julie Suhr, I dont abuse my horses. My horses would know what a crop is or
spurs or anything eles artificial to push them beyond thier own desires. Yes
I won back to backs and I am proud of it.  I am sorry for Davids loss, Dancer
was a fine horse and I am sure he is hurting over his loss. I will not
comment on his riding, that is for him to deal with.
Ken Cook AERC WEST