Re: RC: Re: Shoes, blood flow, and endurance

At 01:47 PM 06/30/2000 -0400, Maggie Mieske wrote:

>Tina,
>You can use NBS principles without using the shoe.  I would never ride
>endurance with those shoes...they are too flat and slippery.  I prefer St.
>Croix Eventers and he uses his forge to square the toes and sets the shoe
>back.  SCE shoes have a wide web and a nice rim for grab.

We just put the new NB steel shoes on Weaver for the first time.  They are
very similar to the St. Croix wide webs that he's been in all these
years.  The toe area is a little larger, and more square but otherwise they
are almost alike in many ways. (they feel about the same weight) His feet
do look a bit odd to me, because of the change, but damn...the horse is
sure moving nice in them!  :-)))

Of course, the aluminum NB shoes would have been out of the question.  I
had just had Rocky re-shod on his hind feet the week before the XP with
brand new St. Croix wide webbs, and they were worn down to the thickness of
a butterknife after 4 days and he had to be completely reshod.  I didn't
even get any conditioning miles on that set.