Re: RC: safe to feed joint supplements to younger horses?

In a message dated 6/29/00 10:30:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< Nutrition question?  I've got two horses (12 and 18) that I've
 been giving joint supplements to - mainly GAG's.  It happens
 that I've got each older horse with a youngter (3 and 4) with
 similar calorie requirements and for convenience I've just been
 giving the young'uns the joint supplement too.  Just want to
 know if there is any reason other than $ that I shouldn't do
 this.  The $ is a trade-off I'm willing to make to save time and
 hassle but if its bad nutrition to give this stuff to the young'uns
 I'll have to change things.

 Thanks,
 Teresa >>

YOu cannot overfeed GAGs. As soon as our young TBs ared brought in for
breaking, we begin GAG supplements. Later, as we're slogging out those miles,
we don't get the fat joints that are so common in TB early training. So, not
only are they not dangerous, but, over the long run, they're cost-effective
as well.

ti