Heavyweight Riders

Tamara Woodcock nis75p06@mindspring.com
From: Barb Reid <tothedogs@earthlink.net>
You got my attention with your post.  I'm a heavyweight rider - about
170 without tack - and am having the same problems you're talking
about.  I bought a Big Horn endurance model about 3 years ago.  It
seemed to be working fine the first two years.  But as the horse muscled
up, it started pinching in the shoulders.  It has become fairly
uncomfortable for him, especially going downhill.  We've been doing the
great saddle hunt for the last 2 months to no avail.  If the saddle fits
him, then it doesn't fit me and visa versa.

I missed this thread earlier, so thought I'd chime in with my two cents:

I'm a VERY heavyweight rider, 225 without tack.  Almost 2 years ago I did my first LD on a grade gelding (1100 lbs and 151 hands) in a 17" hunt saddle that fit the horse perfect, me not at all.  Was very uncomfortable for me, horse didn't seem to care.

My saddle search was started to find a saddle that fit ME!  I wanted an Albion modified Comfort narrow twist dressage saddle, but was turned off by the price, as I didn't know if I was going to stay in distance riding.  By the time I realized I had no choice but to stay with it <G>, had I ended up with a good aussie saddle.  One of the few "off-the-shelf" saddles that come large enough for me.

Later I did bunches of conditioning for my toothpick thin featherweight sister on her 800 lb 14 hand 11yo Arab gelding (generic American breeding) using a heavy (30 lbs including all fittings and brass stirrups) 19" Aussie saddle that fit the horse reasonably well and me perfectly.  Horse didn't seem to notice my bulk at all.  Same as with my old grade gelding.

I'm using the same saddle on my new horse (975 lb, 14.3 h 10yo Crabbet Arab).  We are almost in ready form to do a heavy LD year in 2001, and we're doing lots of conditioning right now.  I'm in the saddle between 6 and 8 hours a week, sometimes up to 12 hours.  Again, saddle fits horse reasonably well, and he has no problem with back soreness carry my weight.

Just my opinion and all, but if you ride well and manage to find a good saddle, rider weight shouldn't be an issue.  It's all in how you use your body.  Besides, I've always wanted to shock the world by wearing lycra tights in public!<G>

-Tamara
& Roo (who doesn't care that Mom's long past "pleasingly plump")