Re: RC: RE:

I have ridden with a broken (snaffle) mouthpiece with shanks, and curb strap,
and my mare did not like it one bit!  I believe the broken mouthpiece plus
the shanks and curb chain put the horse's mouth in a vise.  It is a VERY
harsh bit.  Other people have not had as much problem with the combination,
but since I have to get in her mouth a lot to control her (even off by
ourselves she loves to run!)  it didn't work for us.  I tried a grazing curb
bit, and she was pretty good in it, then just today for the second time ever
I tried a mechanical hackamore with a curb STRAP.  She was real good, but it
doesn't have the stop of the grazing bit.  I'm going to fool with the
adjustment a bit, and think I can get it to work for her.  She also wanted to
fight a lot and pitch her head with the broken mouthpiece shank bit, which
she didn't do with either the grazing bitor the mechanical hack.  Problem is
it costs a LOT to keep buying new bits.  Try borrowing different ones from
friends who already made all the purchase mistakes until you find one that
works.  As far as a martingale, a simple running martingale may work as a
temporary measure to teach your guy to keep his head out of your face once
you find a bit he can live with.  just MHO. Good luck, jeri