heavyweight riders

You got my attention with your post.  I'm a heavyweight rider - about
170 without tack - and am having the same problems you're talking
about.  I bought a Big Horn endurance model about 3 years ago.  It
seemed to be working fine the first two years.  But as the horse muscled
up, it started pinching in the shoulders.  It has become fairly
uncomfortable for him, especially going downhill.  We've been doing the
great saddle hunt for the last 2 months to no avail.  If the saddle fits
him, then it doesn't fit me and visa versa.

I've been talking dressage lessons for about a year to try to do my part
for the poor horse.  I'm sure the weight has some affect but I'm
surprised that it has this much.  The old cowboys spent all day in the
saddle.  They were just as heavy and their tack was probably much
heavier.  They didn't have all the fancy pads and other gear we use so
maybe it isn't the weight.  At least, that's what I like to tell
myself.  Someday I'll find the 'perfect' saddle and we'll both live
happily ever after.
Barb (& Mac)
NW