strange bumps

Hi, my backup horse has some strange bumps just below his withers.  I suspect
they might be caused by my saddle since they are located where the tree and
skirt of my Of saddle meet.  They are about the size of a fingertip and real
hard and are located in a circle of sorts.  This horse also gets similar bumps
when bitten by a tick or horse fly.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this
problem and what you did for it.  I suspect I irritated the area a month ago
when I loaded him down with bags of ribbons to mark a trail for an endurance
ride.  The ribbons were tied on clothes pins and quite heavy and I tied the bag
over the pomel of the saddle.  I was really counting on him to be my backup
horse for a couple of out of state rides this summer.  Any ideas?  I guess I
need to take him to my vet but just wanted to know if anyone on ridecamp had
a similar experience or any suggestions except to get a different saddle.  I
used a sport saddle on him later but suspect that any saddle at this point
would irritate the area.  Thanks for your help.  Kathy Crothers in Ar.