USA Breeders

In a message dated 6/24/00 3:27:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rides2far@juno.com writes:

<< "Mary Chestnut's Civil War
 Diary" says Jeff Davis had an Arabian that was given to him as a
 gift...stallion I think.  Can I enter Jeff Davis in the contest? >>

Yes, let's have a breed competition with Civil War heroes and the horses they
rode.  I will finally beat y'all at something with my horse.  Ready?

First place goes to General Robert E. Lee who rode a Saddlebred.  His famous
horse's name was Traveller.

Second place goes to General Stonewall Jackson who also rode a Saddlebred
named Little Sorrell.

Third place goes to the other side (they still think they won the war) with
Uysses S. Grant on a Saddlebred named Cincinnati.

Fourth place goes to the guy who I wish could do it all again (Atlanta is way
too big these days), General Sherman, who rode a Saddlebred named Lexington.
"As God is my witness"..... lol

Saddlebreds were so predominant during the Civil War and privately owned that
Grant thought it was important enough at Lee's surrender to allow the
Southern soldiers to keep their horses.  This saved and revived the breed of
the American Saddle Horse which is now the American Saddlebred.

Now I'm sure Heidi will try and get her Arabs on this Saddlebred bandwagon,
but I don't think so.  It's the first horse breed association in the USA and
is American as you can get; y'all should be proud of it and quit trying to
say its Arabian when it is not.

We invented the damn horse, let's not try and give away our copyright.

cya,
Howard