Saddlbred/Arab cross also OF saddles

Liz,
  I am sure you will receive many posts about this cross.  I have one that I
just like to brag on.  His name is Sha-Win.  He is a 15y/o gelding thatI
have had since he was 4.  He has 7800 miles at this moment in AERC.  I am
aiming for 10000 with him. 2 weeks ago he won BC.  We win many rides and
have done very well over the years.  In the midwest, we are one of THE
horses to beat.  He has a smooth, ground-covering stride that I just LOVE to
ride on. He is tough, stubborn and bold.  He has a few spooks, but only a
few. Goes everywhere I ask him.  He is sensible and never panics. I know
most of these characteristics are from his Saddlebred side as I have another
horse by the same Arab sire who is very different.  The Arab side gave him
his good, strong metabolics and recoveries. Also kept him from having a very
high strided action making him more efficient.
  This cross has lots to recommend it if you get one with a good
disposition.  I understand that there are a few bad crosses.  You also have
to understand the SB part rarely, if ever stands perfectly still.  They have
to be on the move in some way.
  And to comment on OF saddles, this horse wore one for about the first 5000
of his miles. The only reason I don't use one now is that I can't afford to
replace what I had after it finally wore out. (About 30000 miles btween
endurance, CTR and conditioning) I was really nervous the first 100 miler I
did with out the OF saddle as it fit like a glove on this horse.  He does
have a back that any saddle seems to fit and I haven't had any problems with
my current saddle.  I hope to do the Tevis on him this year.  Just to do it,
not to win it.
Good Luck,
Roberta Harms