Gaited Horses

I have about 2 cents' worth of knowledge on this topic, since I've had my
TWH for a short period of time.

When I see him in the field running about, it makes me laugh because
sometimes it seems he has so many gaits to choose from he can't decide and
it looks like he has 10 legs all going in different directions.

When I ride it's that way, too. Only of course I feel his indecision of
which gait to choose and it feels like being in a manual transmission car
when the driver isn't used to the clutch. Sometimes when he changes gears I
have a leap in my heart because it feels like he's gone lame for a second.

Those of you with experience with gaited horses will know I've revealed my
ignorance, because the rider is there to help the horse stabilize its gait.
This is something I must learn.

In the meantime, it's so funny to feel these legs kind of churning beneath
me as Comet tries to pick a gait. He's actually great at moving from a walk
to a canter, because it's such an easy choice!
--
T'Lara Joy Freedom - tfreedom@cadvision.com
Calgary, AB, Canada