Re: [Enduranceriders] What are this horse's chances?

Sinking,  according to my friends vet, generally always winds up being fatal.  My friends andalusian stallion had a reaction to a flu shot and wound up foundering.  They tried everything to save him.  He had the sinking kind of founder too.  The entire bottom of the hoof seemed to let go and sink out the bottom of the foot.  It was really horrible.  The horse was in terrible pain.  Sorry for the sad info.  Keeping my fingers crossed that your friends horse will fare better than the stallion did.  gesa

-----Original Message-----
From: Lif Strand <fasterhorses@gilanet.com>
To: Ridecamp <ridecamp@endurance.net>; horsemanofftopic <horsemanofftopic@egroups.com>
Date: Monday, June 19, 2000 1:03 PM
Subject: [Enduranceriders] What are this horse's chances?

A friend's horse just came home  after 11 days of intensive care - seems he had some strange bacterial infection that required surgery & then he started foundering.  The diagnosis is "severe anterior enteritis, bilateral forelimb laminitis with sinking".  The horse's feet are padded & he's on bute - I think that's all.

1)  Could someone interpret this diagnosis for me?
2)  Anyone have any recommendations regarding followup care?
3)  Anyone have any predictions on probably outcome?

Thanks, Lif

Lif & Paul Strand
  STRAND ENTERPRISES fasterhorses.com
providing you with alternatives for your life
Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
fax: (561) 594-4609