Re: RC: Re: Amblin', not Foxtrottin'

It probably is getting the right lines - as Heidi stated.  There are
really two breeds that call themselves walkers. One is the breed that
goes around a ring with five pounds of shoe and pad on each front foot.
The other are those breed for the trail. I have a friend that is retired
and now is an outfitters in Tennessee will put novice riders on his
horses (walkers) and head off for rides in the Smokies - along trils one
foot wide on the side of a ridge which falls down 1000 feet with bolders
and rocks in the middle that they have to go over. His instructions are
give the hrose is head, don't interfer - they know what he's doing and
they sure do. The only horse they have lost off the side was a woman who
brough her own horse and her humband was riding one of the walkers. The
woman was on an Arab, that spooked at something or another and spun his
back feet off the trail. She almost went over.

You also watch a good backcountry horse in action and their eyes and
mind are focused on where they are going to put their feet. Their head
is down looking at the ground, not up stargazing.

Most likely the best walkers for trail don't come from CA.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt
Mystic “The Horse from Hell” Storm