Re: RC: Re: Re: Breeds

I was informed that the "gait" we are discussing is actually and amble, not a
"fox trot" and I agree with that assessment.
   Arabians used to be shown in five gaits, up to the National level.
Raffles was the last Five Gaited National Champion.
    The amble, I was told, came about in the Arabian breed because a camel's
walk was somewhere between the speed of the Arabians walk and trot and,
hence, the "amble" was born.
    The Fox Trot, a correct one, is difficult for a lot of Missouri
Foxtrotters to perform, as most like to slip into a rack or a running walk.
    That an Arabian could fox trot is something I find difficult to believe
and I believe it has been confused with the "ambling" gait I mentioned above.
    I rode an own son of Garaff (by Raffles) who wanted to amble for the
duration of the Big Horn 100, and he could really motor.  (He did canter the
last twelve miles, and was spectacular.)

    Frank.