RC: Re: Breeds

Hi,

a gaited horse enthusiast from across the pond chirping in...

I ride a horse that both trots and gaits (an Icelandic) and I have
noticed that some horses really do not like the sound or sight of a
fast four-beat gait. I tend to make sure I am in trot or (normal) walk
when meeting or overtaking these horses - they might be badly
trailbroke if they can't even meet a gaited horse without throwing a
wobbly but it's not my business to train other people's horses for
them so I am polite and considerate (and feel sorry for them on their
boneshakers ;-)).

Another thing I noticed on the rides over here: lots of Arabs seem to
have the basic ability to gait (in addition to trot), unfortunately in
the UK there is very little general knowledge about lateral gaits and
the riders have not been taught how to feel for this potential or
train it. A few Arab owners have even told me that their horses can do
what (from their description) sounded like a rack and I've seen a few
strides of stepping pace during a trot-walk transition from quite a
few Arabs myself. Is there anyone in the US who trains their Arabs'
lateral gaits and uses them on endurance rides?

Is there anyone else who rides endurance on a horse that both trots
and gaits - if there is, do you have any specific strategies what gait
to choose when (other than the obvious trotting uphill and in deep
going)? I tend to let my horse choos what gait she prefers (but I
insist on "true" gaits - no mixing and a clear beat at all times), but
maybe other people have more of a "plan" what gait to ride for which
purpose?

Jana