Re: RC: Re: Navicular changes and endurance

I had this happen to my CTR gelding several years ago, with him finally
becoming noticably lame after a ride outside Phoenix (at South Mountain)
that involved the granite staircases from hell.  We did the isoxuprine and
stall rest, but the critical factor was noticed by my farrier when he came
out to put on the egg bars suggested by the vet.  Without either of us
really noticing it, my gelding's heels had contracted over the course of a
season's shoeings!  This effectively gave him smaller feet - and he was in
the same boat as many QHs who are born with small feet and develop
navicular.  My farrier was working with another vet on a navicular horse
with contracted heels and that vet recommended using Chadwick springs to
push the heels back out, and my farrier had the forge skills to fabricate
them.  Worked like a charm (and my main vet very much approved) -- within
one shoeing cycle the heels were normal and the horse was sound and back in
competition -- with recent xrays showing a perfectly normal foot and no
arthritic changes (18 yr old horse).  A friend's CTR mule went through the
same thing two years ago:  contracted heels leading to beginning navicular
syndrome, reversed by Chadwick springs (now there are several local
farriers who can fabricate them).  At least it's something for you to keep
in mind.  Good luck!

Lynn Kinsky (Santa Ynez, CA)
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky