Navicular changes and endurance

Patty Jackson jbco@jps.net
Today I had my mare's feet x-rayed because I have been
noticing her stride has shortened, especially on the front
right.  The x-rays showed some changes (degeneration) of the navicular bone in both fore with increased vascular areas.  The
coffin bone demonstrates increased vascular channels with
remodeling.  There is inflammation of the coffin bone and
degeneration of the navicular bone.

Has anyone else experienced this happening?  A typical training
ride for me is about 12 miles, 3 times per week.  I have only
done limited distance so far on my mare.  She completed 4 rides
last year as a 9 year old.  She fell at Americal River in April,
my vet suspects this is why.  Her feet have been hurting but she
has not shown any real lameness until now.

We are giving her Isoxsuprine for now and will be changing her
shoes on Monday.  I am not sure what my vet is going to have
the farrier do different, but they are going to work together on
this to try to get her going again.  I don't know if endurance
will ever be a possibility for her again. I understand that
trotting on these hard trails may be the cause.

I am interested in hearing if anyone else has had this happen,
and if the horse recovered enough to continue distance work with
the proper treatment, or if a career change was necessary.

Patty Jackson