re: breeds-why Arabs for me

How did I end up with Arabs?

Grew up teenage years with QH gal who considered Arabs "Airheads"  I had grade horse, then Tb/percheron, then appytude appy.  I was a Very confident rider-then got out of horses for about 4 years.

Huge loss of confidence-first horse I took on trial was green Arab/QH- next was QH.  Both had mental problems.  After tooling around bareback on our Welsh pony for awhile, I bought the little Arab my friend had (I had ridden her) and that is Ashley.  She, out of all the horses we owned, didn't mind the heat and hills, and loved to go.  She was FUN to ride.  My friend had also had some bad experiences iwth a QH
(lame), and a Morgan (show/arena idiot-never been on a trail, poor thing).  Lo and behold, we just sort of ended up with Arabs and arab-crosses.
They could do the kind of riding we liked to do (bomb around), and were easier to deal with.

Currently, I have three pure Arabs, and four crosses. The pure Arabs are much more sensible to deal with in general than the others.  the others (excepting the yearling) seem to have more stubborness.

On the other hand, I seem to have a good connection with the Polish lines; an Arab I had briefly that was American/Egyptian cross was a basket case.  We just did not connect.  All my horses except the Mustang/Arab (hot, Kellog egyptian cross), go back to Ofir through Bask or Witez II.

Karen