Re: RC: Breeds

In a message dated 6/14/00 6:52:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
truman.prevatt@netsrq.com writes:

<< Heidi,

 I think you hit the nail on the head in that what you get at a ride is not
the
 true resting rate. Check in a mare and depending on where she is in her cycle
 the check in rate can vary 20 bpm where as the resting rate is pretty
 constant.  Same thing with a stallion.>>

Actually, Truman, there is another factor here, and one that I think IS very
important.  Some horses seem to be able to "uncouple" themselves from the
excitement and DO check in at or near their actual resting rates, where
others are not capable of doing this.  And in my experience, it has virtually
nothing to do with hormones--some of the coolest customers I've had have been
stallions (some of my own included) who can be at least moderately interested
in what is going on around them but still not reflect it in their HR's.
(I've seen my share of geldings check in at 80, too!)  I think it has to do
more with an equine equivalent of a "Type A" personality--where the horse is
giving himself adrenaline and hyping himself up--and I don't think that is a
good thing in this sport.  That constant "revving of the engine" (pardon the
vehicular analogy) depletes all manner of things--lytes, energy, etc.--and
"washes the horse out" before he ever hits the trail.  I would far rather
have a horse with a "true" resting pulse of 36 that STAYS at 36 at check-in
than one with a "true" resting pulse of 24 that also checks in at 36...
Furthermore, I'd be leery of keeping a stallion in my breeding program whose
pulse elevated significantly just due to the hubbub around him--he is not
able to separate that from his "fight or flight" instinct and save his energy
for the task at hand, and I don't care to perpetuate that flaw.  (And yes,
the WORST ones I see for consistently being "up" at checkin are frequently
akin to the modern show horses--where that "hopped up" look and attitude HAVE
been quite actively selected for--just as conformational flaws detrimental to
athletic performance have likewise been selected as the "style...")

Heidi

 Given that the heart is devlivering O2 and and carrying away waste products,
in
 a volumn of blood then the faster it has to beat to deliver the necessary
 volumn implies that it is delivering less volumn per beat. Which either means
 the heart is small or inefficient. In the extreme, neither case is
desirable. >>