Re: Re: Walkers

----- Original Message -----
From: <Kenzie_Kelly@spc.com>

> There is actually a cross of this type in the barn where I board.  I'm
>      really not sure what the advantage of breeding a TWH to an Arab would
>      be.

I think the idea would be to get a "gaited" horse with better recoveries,
and maybe better bone.......I own one of these critters too- 1/2 Arab 1/2
walker.  Truman?

I wouldn't think they would complement each other very well.  In
>      this particular case, the horse (Mahogany) has lost the floaty Arab
>      trot, and replaced it with a very bouncy gait.  She has a long,
thick,
>      heavy set neck that resembles the TWH, and the refined head of an
>      Arab.  She has the "rangy" hips of the walker, and the large girth of
>      the Arab.  She is quite an unusual creature.

Depends-mine looks like a very big boned Arab, with a wide,but bigger,
coarser head.  She has a very fast walk and will and can gait, but it is a
lot of trouble to keep her in it. I actually prefer a trot to a "gait", and
the main reason I put up with this
nasty creature is her absolutely smooth, floating smooth canter.  The times
I can get her into a relaxed, smooth slow canter, it makes all the hassle
and expense of owning horses worth it.

Disposition?  I often claim this mare got the worst of both breeds.  She has
the spookiness and flightyness of a show Arab, and what a TWB breeder
described to me as the bull-headedness of the TWH. Add to this that this
mare doesn't like people, dogs or other horses; will hit you with her tail
when tacking up and always make nasty faces................Yet she goes and
goes, and in a crisis, HAS NEVER LET ME DOWN!!!!  Never colicked, never
unsound. I may be dealing, though, with harder to cool out due to bigger
bulk.  Oh, and she cost $200............

>      She also has the coloring of a Rocky Mountain Horse - chocolate with
>      flaxen mane and tail.

This is a grey, with a bloody shoulder mark.

> Subject: RC:  Walkers
> Author:  "guest@endurance.net" <guest@endurance.net>
> Date:    6/13/00 1:31 PM
>
> e.tully et-albert@msn.com
> Here's an oxymoran for you folks: A cross between and Arab and a Ten.
Walker =