Re: RC: Breeds

In a message dated 6/13/00 11:11:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
truman.prevatt@netsrq.com writes:

<< Well a lot depends on the goals. A good horse of many breeds can do just
fine
 for many people If you are out there to just have fun, then why would you
want
 to have to put up with an Arab? >>

You are right that the goals make a big difference, Truman--there are top
individuals in many breeds, but the odds are much better for a top competitor
with an Arab.  Nonetheless, you have to define your goals--do you want to be
an FEI contender, or a year-end points contender, or what, and is the horse
you have doing a good job at this, or whatever.

As for "putting up with" Arabs--I'd have to submit that once again horses are
individuals.  After selecting for many years for old-time Arabs with the
kind, friendly, classic "in-your-tent" attitude, many is the day that I've
come home fed up with "putting up with" horses of other breeds and have been
utterly relieved to be greeted by my sane, sensible, and friendly Ay-rabs...
My farrier has told me time and time again that he would FAR rather work with
Arabs or TB's, as they are smart, "light", and easy to teach if one is
patient with them.  (And this guy shoes for some of the top AQHA and APHA
barns in the area!)  Personality has a lot to do with it, too--some folks are
"strung" to get along with Arabs better, and some understand other breeds
better.  Viva la difference!

Heidi